Logo Service Baden Württemberg
Procedure descriptions

Application for re-registration of a vehicle

Should your vehicle have been de-registered, you can apply for a re-registration.

You may drive

  • with an unstamped licence plate
  • only in connection with the registration
  • in the permitted area and in the bordering area stated on the registration if
  • the licensing authorities have issued or reserved the registration in advance and
  • the journeys are covered by third party liability insurance.

During such journeys, you must

  • have the filled in confirmation of insurance with you and
  • properly display the registration on the vehicle. It will not suffice to place the registration behind the front or rear windscreen.

You must also apply for re-registration if your vehicle was previously registered abroad.

Responsible department

the registration authorities (Zulassungsbehörde), which are responsible for the principle residence of the owner (otherwise: company premises or location of the relevant subsidiary)

The registration authorities are

  • for an urban district (Stadtkreis): the city council (Stadtverwaltung)
  • for a rural district (Landkreis): the rural district office (Landratsamt)



The requirements for the registration of the vehicle are as follows:

  • You must not have any fees and expenses outstanding from previous registration processes. In case of payment arrears of more than 30 euros, the licensing authorities may not register your vehicle until you have settled the amount. In case of payment arrears of less than 30 euros, the licensing authorities can decide whether they will register the vehicle anyway or not.
  • You may not have any vehicle excise duty debts of 5 euros or more. When calculating the amount, default supplements, interest and lateness surcharges are taken into account.
  • Should somebody represent you during the registration process of your vehicle, you must issue them with written power of attorney. This power of attorney must contain a statement of consent that the licensing authorities may inform the representing person of outstanding fees and charges on your part. Your representative must show the power of attorney and identify himself or herself.

Your vehicle must be in a roadworthy condition for a new registration. You must be able to provide proof of this roadworthiness.


You or your representative must apply for the re-registration at the competent licensing authority.

Depending on what is offered by your approval authority, a form for downloading or an online service via the Internet are available.

The licensing authority may request that you show the vehicle. If applicable, you require a temporary registration in this respect.

The licensing authority will provide the new stickers on the registration of your vehicle (main inspection and stamp sticker). Should you wish to drive in environmental zones and should you not have had an exemption permit or a particle emissions sticker up until this point, you must also apply for these.

Tip: Should you require a new registration, you can contact private providers. You can usually find these near the licensing authorities.

Required documents

  • Valid identity card or passport
  • Additionally in case of representation:
    • Written power of attorney
    • Valid personal identity of passport of the representative
  • Additionally in case of minors:
    • Declaration of consent and identity documents of the guardians
  • In case of legal persons/companies:
    • excerpt from the Commercial Register,
    • Business Registration or
    • excerpt from the Register of Associations (Vereinsregisterauszug)
  • SEPA direct debit mandate for payment of vehicle tax (Erklärung zum Einzug der Kraftfahrzeugsteuer (SEPA-Lastschriftmandat))
  • Confirmation of insurance (EVB code)
  • Proof of a valid main inspection by means of the most recent MI report, should the vehicle be more than three years old or should it have been previously registered as a rental vehicle, taxi or similar.
  • Proof of reservation should you have applied for a vanity plate

In case of re-registration of a vehicle which had a prior German registration: in addition

  • Proof of ownership of the person carrying out the registration, should this not be stated in the subsequent papers:
    • Registration certificate parts 1 and 2 or old driving licence and/or de-registration certificate and registration document or
    • EC compliance certificate (COC paper) or
    • Data certification or
    • Certification concerning the individual permit
    • Should none of these papers be available, a report in accordance with § 21 of the German Road Traffic Licensing Regulation (StVZO) is necessary.
  • Registration plates if available
  • In case of changes to the vehicle: Modification approval
  • Should the vehicle have been de-registered over seven years ago: Report in accordance with § 21 StVZO

In case of re-registration of a vehicle with a foreign registration: in addition

  • Foreign registration document and numberplate
  • Proof of ownership (sales contract or original invoice)
  • Value added tax declaration
    Vehicles shall be deemed to be new in the following cases under tax law:
    • The first registration in another EU member state took place not more than six months ago and
  • the current mileage is less than 6,000 kilometres.

    Should the licensing authorities not be able to ascertain the date for the next main inspection from the foreign registration documents: additional determination of the next main inspection (MI) by an inspection organisation.

    Note: Should a vehicle have been registered in another EU member state, qualified inspection reports from there will be recognised. However, the approval authority may request the submission of an official translation in German.

    Should the vehicle have been imported from countries outside of the EU: in addition

    • Clearance certificate of the customs authorities: You can obtain this at the border.
    • In case of vehicles with EC-type approval: Inspection report in respect of the main inspection and inspection certificate concerning exhaust check
    • In case of vehicles without EC-type approval: Report of an officially recognised expert in accordance with § 21 StVZO (full report)

Note: Disabled persons with the mark "H", "BI" or "aG" in their disabled person's identity document continue to be exempted from vehicle excise duty. Due to the proof in their identity documents, such persons do not need to submit a direct debit authorisation. In certain exceptional cases, you can make an application for exemption from the direct debit collection procedure. The requirements for this can be found directly in the application form.

Note: The confirmation of insurance concerning the third party liability policy can be obtained from the insurance company of your choice. You can usually request this by telephone. The insurance will be automatically formed of the re-registration of the vehicle.


The fees charged are based on the administrative costs (from 11,40 euros).

The fees do not include the costs for the licence plates.

Release note

The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The  Verkehrsministerium released it on 16.08.2021. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.

Bitte beachten Sie die für Ihr Anliegen genannte:
"zuständige Stelle"

- Ämter in der Stadtverwaltung
- Bürgerbüro


Stadt Weinheim
Obertorstraße 9
69469 Weinheim
Tel.: 115
Fax: 06201 / 82 - 268

Anfahrtsplan (511 KB)

Mo. - Fr.
außer Mi.
08.00 - 12.00 Uhr
Do. 14.00 - 18.00 Uhr

Bitte beachten Sie die unterschiedlichen Sprechzeiten der einzelnen Ämter und Dienststellen.
Wir haben gleitende Arbeitszeit.

Tel. Erreichbarkeit:
Mo. - Fr. 08.00 - 12.00 Uhr
Mo. - Mi. 14.00 - 16.00 Uhr
Do. 14.00 - 18.00 Uhr