Birth abroad - applying for entry in the German register of births
Under certain conditions, you can have a birth abroad subsequently entered in the German birth register.
This is advantageous, for example, if you need a German birth certificate at a later date.
Notice: You are not obliged to have births abroad subsequently certified in Germany. Foreign birth certificates also count as proof of birth.
- the registry office of the place of residence or habitual abode of the person born abroad
- If this does not result in jurisdiction: the registry office of the place of residence or habitual abode of the person entitled to file the application
- If this also does not result in jurisdiction: the registry office I in Berlin
At the time of application
- the person concerned has German nationality or
- is entitled to asylum, stateless, a foreigner without a country of origin, or
- is a foreign refugee and usually resides in Germany.
- the person concerned
- the parents of this person
- the children of this person or
- the husband or wife or life partner.
You can apply for registration in person or in writing.
If you, as the person entitled to apply, are prevented from doing so for important reasons, you can be represented by a proxy.
The registrar will enter the birth in the birth register. If the registration is not possible, you will be informed immediately.
- foreign birth certificate with translation and, if necessary, legalisation or apostille
- Parents' identity card or passport (or a recognised passport substitute)
- for naturalised persons: additionally naturalisation certificate
- for persons entitled to asylum, stateless persons, homeless foreigners and foreign refugees: additional proof of special status
- in the case of representation: written power of attorney from the person entitled to apply
Note: This list is not exhaustive. Depending on the case constellation, further documents may be necessary. The competent authority may request further documents.
- EUR 160.00
- Birth certificate or certified printout from the register of births: EUR 20.00 each
Note: Further costs and fees may be incurred at the registry office or judicial authorities, for example for apostilles or interpreting services.
28.06.2023 Ministry of the Interior Baden-Württemberg