Logo Service Baden Württemberg
Procedure descriptions

Loss of the Vehicle Registration Certificate

If your old vehicle registration certificate (Fahrzeugschein) or your new one (Zulassungsbescheinigung Teil I) is lost or stolen, you must have it replaced.

It is not possible to combine a new vehicle registration certificate (Zulassungsbescheinigung Teil I) with an old vehicle title (Fahrzeugbrief), therefore the new vehicle title (Zulassungsbescheinigung Teil II) is also issued for the old vehicle title.

Note: If you find your lost registration document after having been issued a replacement document, you have to submit the old document which you have found again without delay to the registration authorities.

Responsible department

the registration authorities (Zulassungsbehörde), which are responsible for the principle residence of the owner (otherwise: company premises or location of the relevant subsidiary)

The registration authorities are

  • for an urban district (Stadtkreis): the city council (Stadtverwaltung)
  • for a rural district (Landkreis): the rural district office (Landratsamt)



Proof that the theft has been reported to the police or confirmation of loss.


As the owner of the vehicle, you must make an application to be issued with a vehicle registration certificate (Zulassungsbescheinigung Teil I) to the registration authorities which issued the registered licence plate. You can also instruct a representative to apply on your behalf with your written authorisation.

If you need an application form, you can collect it from the registration authorities and fill it out later at your own convenience. Some registration authorities allow you to download the relevant form from their website or apply online.

You can make this application in person or in writing. The registration authorities may ask you to make a declaration under oath attesting to the whereabouts of the registration certificate.

Note: You can also make this declaration under oath before a notary public. In this case, the application can also made by someone on your behalf with your written authorisation. This person must submit the declaration under oath to the authorities.

Required documents

  • Valid identity card or passport
  • If you are being represented by a person with your written authorisation: in addition to the above,
    • valid identity card or passport of your representative
  • For underage vehicle owners: in addition to the above,
    • declaration of consent and identity documents of the legal custodian
  • Declaration of loss, in individual cases an affidavit
  • If applicable, in addition proof that the theft has been reported to the police
  • The vehicle title ("Zulassungsbescheinigung Teil II", or old-style "Fahrzeugbrief")
  • A valid inspection report from the last main inspection
    If your current inspection certificate for the emission inspection is dated before 1st January 2010, until your next main inspection you will have to prove that you have carried out the emission inspection by showing the inspection certificate separately.


The fees charged are based on the administrative costs (from 10,90 euros).

Release note

The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Verkehrsministerium released it on 16.08.2021. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.

Bitte beachten Sie die für Ihr Anliegen genannte:
"zuständige Stelle"

- Ämter in der Stadtverwaltung
- Bürgerbüro


Stadt Weinheim
Obertorstraße 9
69469 Weinheim
Tel.: 115
Fax: 06201 / 82 - 268

Anfahrtsplan (511 KB)

Mo. - Fr.
außer Mi.
08.00 - 12.00 Uhr
Do. 14.00 - 18.00 Uhr

Bitte beachten Sie die unterschiedlichen Sprechzeiten der einzelnen Ämter und Dienststellen.
Wir haben gleitende Arbeitszeit.

Tel. Erreichbarkeit:
Mo. - Fr. 08.00 - 12.00 Uhr
Mo. - Mi. 14.00 - 16.00 Uhr
Do. 14.00 - 18.00 Uhr