Logo Service Baden Württemberg
Procedure descriptions

Name Change in the Vehicle Registration Certificate and Vehicle Title

If your name has changed due to personal circumstances, e.g. marriage or divorce, or in the case of companies if the company name has changed, you have to get this registered in the vehicle documents.

Responsible department

the registration authorities (Zulassungsbehörde), which are responsible for the principle residence of the owner (otherwise: company premises or location of the relevant subsidiary)

The registration authorities are

  • for an urban district (Stadtkreis): the city council (Stadtverwaltung)
  • for a rural district (Landkreis): the rural district office (Landratsamt)



Sie haben Ihren persönlichen Namen oder Ihren Firmennamen geändert.


You have to apply for the change to the registration authorities or your principal residence, company premises or the location of the relevant subsidiary either personally or by a third party with a written authorisation.

If you need an application form, you can collect it from the registration authorities and fill it out later at your own convenience. Depending on what is offered by the registration authorities, you may be able to download the relevant form from their website or apply online.


You must make these changes as soon as possible.

Required documents

  • The vehicle registration certificate (Zulassungsbescheinigung Teil I) (previously called "Fahrzeugschein") and the vehicle title (Zulassungsbescheinigung Teil II) (previously called "Fahrzeugbrief")
  • Valid ID card or passport or alternatively documents from the Register Office (e.g. certificate of marriage or divorce)
  • If you are being represented by a person with your written authorisation: in addition to the above
    • valid identity card or passport of your representative
  • For underage vehicle owners: in addition to the above
    • declaration of consent and identity documents of the legal custodian
  • For legal entities/companies:


The fees charged are based on the administrative costs (from 11,40 euros).

Note: These charges also apply even if there is space left in the old-style vehicle title and a new-style vehicle registration certificate needs to be issued because a new-style vehicle title was issued.

Release note

The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Verkehrsministerium released it on 16.08.2021. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.

Bitte beachten Sie die für Ihr Anliegen genannte:
"zuständige Stelle"

- Ämter in der Stadtverwaltung
- Bürgerbüro


Stadt Weinheim
Obertorstraße 9
69469 Weinheim
Tel.: 115
Fax: 06201 / 82 - 268

Anfahrtsplan (511 KB)

Mo. - Fr.
außer Mi.
08.00 - 12.00 Uhr
Do. 14.00 - 18.00 Uhr

Bitte beachten Sie die unterschiedlichen Sprechzeiten der einzelnen Ämter und Dienststellen.
Wir haben gleitende Arbeitszeit.

Tel. Erreichbarkeit:
Mo. - Fr. 08.00 - 12.00 Uhr
Mo. - Mi. 14.00 - 16.00 Uhr
Do. 14.00 - 18.00 Uhr