Pension fund for engineers - registering as a member
The pension fund for engineers in Baden-Württemberg is the occupational pension scheme for engineers in Baden-Württemberg.
The pension fund grants the following benefits to you as a member and to your surviving dependants:
- old-age pension
- occupational disability pensions
- provisions for surviving dependants
Note: The pension fund can also give allowances for medical rehabilitation measures on request if the costs cannot be covered by any other means.
Members of the pension fund are obliged to pay monthly contributions as long as they do not receive an old-age pension or occupational disability pension. for self-employed persons, the regular contribution is 18 percent of the assessment threshold set for state pension insurance. You can apply to have your contributions reduced in the following cases:
- your income does not reach the assessment threshold: the reduced contribution amounts to 18 percent of your annual professional income, but no less than one quarter of the standard contribution.
- During the first five years of your membership, you can have your contributions reduced by up to half; however, the amount payable may not be less than one quarter of the standard contribution.
If you are exempted from the state pension insurance payments that normally have to be paid by employed persons and pay contributions to the occupational pension fund instead, you must pay at least the amount that you would have had to pay to the state pension insurance scheme.
Most employers deduct the membership contributions from their employees’ salaries and send them directly to the pension fund. If you are employed, please give your membership number to your employer and inform him that you are exempted from payments into the state pension scheme. If you are not employed, or if your employer does not pay the contributions directly to the pension fund, you must pay the contributions yourself.
Tip: You will find more information about contributions in the articles of the pension fund for engineers in Baden-Württemberg.
Baden-Württemberg pension fund for engineers
All members of the Chamber of Engineers in Baden-Württemberg are obliged to join the pension fund.
You may not become a member of the pension fund if
- you will be 45 years or older at the time your participation would begin
- you have an occupational disability at this time, or
- you have your own pension entitlements as a civil servant.
The pension fund will be notified automatically as soon as you become a member of the Chamber. You will then be sent all the necessary information and documents. It is neither necessary nor possible for members to register in advance.
Tip: When you apply, you can also request exemption from your obligation to pay contributions into the state pension scheme in favour of the pension fund. The application form for exemption is available from the pension fund. Complete and sign this form and send it to the pension fund. This is a supplement to your membership registration and will be forwarded to the Deutsche Rentenversicherung Bund (German statutory insurance pension scheme).
If you meet the conditions of membership, the pension fund will give you a membership number. You should quote this number in all future correspondence with the pension fund.
- for registration: as soon as you meet the requirements for membership
- if requesting reduced contributions: within six months of meeting the requirements
- Further deadlines are set out in the articles of association of the pension fund.
- copy of passport or personal ID card
- if you are self-employed and would like your contributions to be calculated in line with your annual professional income: estimate of your income for the current calendar year
- if you are employed: a copy of your employment contract
- Registration: none
- Membership: obligatory monthly contribution
The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Wirtschaftsministerium released it on 07.06.2019. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.