Special educational provision - applying for determination of entitlement
Pupils who are entitled to special needs education can attend the general school or a special needs education and guidance centre (SBBZ). The prerequisite is that the competent body determines your child's entitlement to special educational provision.
is the State Education Authority responsible for your place of residence
- The counselling and support options of the general school have been exhausted and documented.
- Successful attendance at a general school is not to be expected even with counselling and support from the special educational service.
- There are concrete indications of a possible entitlement to special educational provision due to the impact of a disability on learning at school.
There are two possibilities:
- The parents themselves apply for the determination of the entitlement to a special educational provision and the competent State Education Authority involves the competent school or
- the parents together with the school submit a joint application to the relevant State Education Authority or the school takes the initiative.
The State Education Authority commissions a special needs teacher with a special needs assessment. This report should also include the parents' considerations about the appropriate school offer for their child.
Once the report has been drawn up, the relevant state education authority informs the parents of the result and whether they are entitled to special educational provision.
If the school supervisory authority rejects the determination of entitlement, it informs the parents of its decision, stating the reasons.
If there is an entitlement, the parents can choose whether their child is to be taught in an inclusive educational provision in the general school or in a special needs education and guidance centre (SBBZ). They are advised in detail by the competent State Education Authority on the possible places of learning and informed about the further procedural steps after exercising the right of choice.
- If the parents choose an inclusive educational offer, the competent State Education Authority tries to provide such an offer within the framework of its school offer planning. In an educational pathway conference, the necessary arrangements are discussed with all parties involved and the parents are made an appropriate educational offer for their child. If the parents agree to the proposal, they receive a corresponding notice and enrol their child in the agreed general school.
- If the parents decide in favour of education in a special education and guidance centre (SBBZ), they receive a corresponding notice and register their child in the relevant SBBZ.
In the procedure for a repeated determination of entitlement to special needs education, the application should be submitted to the competent State Education Authority by 1 December of the school year in which the determination of entitlement will end.
Please contact the State Education Authority responsible for your place of residence.
- Life situation school
- 19.10.2023 Kultusministerium Baden-Württemberg