Logo Service Baden Württemberg
Procedure descriptions

Applying for a red registration number (dealer registration)

As a reliable tradesperson in the motor vehicle branch (for example vehicle manufacturer, vehicle dealer, vehicle workshop), you can apply for the red registration number for vehicles which are not registered.

Red registration may only be used in the following cases:

  • Test drives: Determination and proof of usability
  • Test runs: Carrying out of an inspection of a vehicle by
    • an officially recognised expert or
    • an inspector for motor vehicle traffic or
    • an inspection engineer of an officially recognised monitoring organisation
  • Transitional journeys: The vehicle needs to be moved to another location.

The licensing authority will issue the red registration number for a fixed term or subject to revocation. It is not issued to a vehicle in a fixed manner.

You can use it

  • several times,
  • however only for your own operations and
  • for the permitted journeys.

As a private person, you cannot obtain a red registration number.

With the red registration number, you must use the special registration document notebook. The registration number always begins with "06".

Note: Vehicles with these registration numbers enjoy tax privileges. They are subject to a fixed vehicle tax.

Responsible department

The licensing authorities in whose area you have your company headquarters or branch office.

The registration authorities are

  • for an urban district (Stadtkreis): the city council (Stadtverwaltung)
  • for a rural district (Landkreis): the rural district office (Landratsamt)



You must:

  • provide proof of your personal reliability,
  • have a commercial business in the area of motor vehicles registered in your name and
  • provide proof that you require such a registration.

Further requirements are as follows:

  • You must not have any fees and expenses outstanding from previous registration processes.
    In case of payment arrears of more than 30 euros, the licensing authorities may not register your vehicle until you have settled the amount. In case of payment arrears of less than 30 euros, the licensing authorities can decide whether they will register the vehicle anyway or not.
  • You may not have any vehicle excise duty debts of 5 euros or more. When calculating the amount, default supplements, interest and lateness surcharges are taken into account.
  • Should somebody represent you during the registration process of your vehicle, you must issue them with written power of attorney. This power of attorney must contain a statement of consent that the licensing authorities may inform the representing person of outstanding fees and charges on your part. Your representative must show the power of attorney and identify himself or herself.


You or your representative must apply for the issuing of the red registration number at the competent licensing authority.

Depending on what is offered by your licensing authority, a form for downloading or an online service via the Internet are available.

You will receive the red registration number from the licensing authority.

Tip: You can obtain the registration plates from private providers. You can usually find these near the licensing authorities.

The licensing authority will automatically inform your insurance company of the issuing of the red registration number.

Required documents

  • Valid personal identity document or passport of the tradespersons
  • Additionally in case of representation:
    • written power of attorney
    • valid personal identity document or passport of the representative
  • SEPA mandate direct debit authorisation for the vehicle tax (necessary since 1 July 2007 / 1 February 2014)
  • Current business registration
  • Additionally in the case of legal persons:
  • Commercial register extract
  • Personal identity documents of all members of the board of directors and the persons with proxy powers
  • Confirmation of insurance (eVB code)
  • information from the German Federal Central Register - Bundeszentralregister (certificate of good conduct)
  • Extract from the central business register
  • Information from the central traffic register at the Federal Motor Vehicle Transport Authority -  Kraftfahrt-Bundesamt
  • Current proof of reliability, for example:
  • Should no application form be provided: additional written submissions concerning the requirement.

Note: The confirmation of insurance concerning the third party liability policy can be obtained from the insurance company of your choice. You can usually request this by telephone.


Fees depending on administrative expense

Please make enquiries at the competent body.

Note: Additional costs will be incurred for the number plates.


Für die Besteuerung von Kraftfahrzeugen ist seit Februar 2014 die Zollverwaltung des Bundes zuständig. Weitere Informationen und Formulare zum Thema "Kraftfahrzeugsteuer" finden Sie auf den Internetseiten der Zollverwaltung.

Release note

The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Verkehrsministerium released it on 16.08.2021. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.

Bitte beachten Sie die für Ihr Anliegen genannte:
"zuständige Stelle"

- Ämter in der Stadtverwaltung
- Bürgerbüro


Stadt Weinheim
Obertorstraße 9
69469 Weinheim
Tel.: 115
Fax: 06201 / 82 - 268

Anfahrtsplan (511 KB)

Mo. - Fr.
außer Mi.
08.00 - 12.00 Uhr
Do. 14.00 - 18.00 Uhr

Bitte beachten Sie die unterschiedlichen Sprechzeiten der einzelnen Ämter und Dienststellen.
Wir haben gleitende Arbeitszeit.

Tel. Erreichbarkeit:
Mo. - Fr. 08.00 - 12.00 Uhr
Mo. - Mi. 14.00 - 16.00 Uhr
Do. 14.00 - 18.00 Uhr