Medical Register - Apply for registration
You must first be registered in the register of doctors if you subsequently wish to be licensed to practise medicine or psychotherapy.
The associations of panel doctors keep a register of doctors for each registration district. It contains information about the person and the professional activity that is relevant for admission.
the doctors' register office at the Association of Statutory Health Insurance Physicians (Kassenärztliche Vereinigung) in whose registration district you live
Note: If you are not resident in the Federal Republic of Germany, you are free to choose the medical register.
- be licensed as a medical doctor, and
- present proof of
- the completion of specialist medical training, or
- training acquired in another EU member state in accordance with Directive 2005/36 EC.
To register as a psychotherapist, you must be
- be licensed as a psychotherapist, and
- present a certificate of competence in a psychotherapy procedure recognised by the Federal Joint Committee (behavioural therapy, analytical psychotherapy or psychotherapy based on depth psychology).
You must apply in writing to the competent authority for entry in the register of medical practitioners. Once you have submitted the required documents and paid the registration fee, you are entitled to be entered in the medical register.
You will then receive written information that you have been entered in the register of doctors.
- Birth certificate
- Documents proving a possible change of name or the entitlement to use a double name (e.g. marriage certificate)
- Approbation certificate
- Certificate of graduation
- Certificate of recognition as a specialist or qualification in the guideline procedure for psychotherapy
- Proof/certificates of previous medical/psychotherapeutic activity
- Certificates of completed further training
- Doctorate certificate or proof of the right to use academic degrees or titles
- proof of citizenship, if applicable
- in the case of foreign language documents: Translation by a state-recognised translator
Documents must be presented in the original. The medical registers will certify the documents accordingly.
22.02.2023; Sozialministerium Baden-Württemberg