Logo Service Baden Württemberg
Procedure descriptions

Apply for child supplement

The child supplement is a benefit for families with a small income. The child supplement supports your family if you have a small income and cannot cover the needs of the entire family or can only just cover them.

You are entitled to child supplement for your children under 25 if

  • your child/children is/are not married or partnered and live in your household,
  • you receive child benefit for the child or are not entitled to child benefit only because you receive another comparable government benefit that excludes child benefit,
  • you have enough income for yourself and can cover your family's needs with the child supplement,
  • your monthly income reaches a minimum limit (the so-called minimum income limit), and
  • your income and assets that are counted towards the child supplement are not so high that the child supplement is reduced to zero.

The maximum amount of the child supplement is 229.00 EUR per month per child. If your income is higher than your needs as parents, the child supplement is reduced. The income of your children is also taken into account, for example, if your children receive alimony, alimony advance or half-orphan's pension.

The child supplement is granted for 6 months at a time. After 6 months, you must submit a new application.

The following will be counted as income

  • 45 percent of your child's/your children's own income, e.g. alimony, advance alimony or half-orphan's pension,
  • 45 percent of your parents' income from employment or self-employment that exceeds their own needs,
  • Income replacement benefits such as unemployment benefit, short-time allowance or sick pay,
  • parental allowance,
  • pensions from social security,
  • capital and interest income,
  • income from renting and leasing, and
  • Alimony payments (spousal support).

Since January 1, 2020, you can also receive the child supplement if your earned income, child supplement and housing allowance do not leave you more than EUR 100.00 per month below the SGB II entitlement.


If you receive child supplement or housing allowance, you can receive benefits for education and participation for your children. In addition, you can be exempted from the KiTa fees.

The KiZ-Lotse helps you to quickly and easily check whether you are eligible for child supplement. You can find the KiZ-Lotse on the website of the Familienkasse of the Federal Employment Agency under the navigation bar

The family cash office offers video counseling, which you can use to ask questions about the child supplement from home. You can make an appointment for video counseling online or by calling 0800 4555530.



To receive a child supplement, the following requirements must be met:

  • Your child/children is/are younger than 25 years, not married or partnered and live in your household.
  • You receive child benefit or a comparable benefit for your child/children, for example from abroad.
  • You dispose
    • as a couple you have a joint gross income of at least 900.00 EUR per month (excluding housing benefit, child benefit and child supplement) or
    • as a single parent over at least 600.00 EUR per month.
  • Your income and assets that are counted towards the child supplement are not so high that the child supplement is reduced to zero.
  • As a rule, you can receive the child supplement if you can cover the needs of the whole family within the meaning of SGB II with your income, the child benefit, any housing benefit to which you may be entitled, and the child supplement.
  • Child supplement is subordinate to other possible income of the child; if necessary, there is an obligation to seek priority claims such as alimony or advance alimony.


You can apply for the child supplement in writing using the form provided. You can also fill out the application online. In this case, supporting documents can be uploaded directly and the data will be transmitted directly to the family benefits office. However, it is still necessary to send the signed application to the Family Benefits Office by mail.

Apply for child supplement:

  • Go to the website of the Family Benefits Office of the Federal Employment Agency, download the application form and fill it out directly on your computer.
  • Print out the completed application and sign it.
  • You can also print out the application form directly and fill it out by hand.
  • You can also obtain the form from your local family benefits office.
  • Submit the signed application documents and the necessary supporting documents to the family benefits office.

You can also fill out the application online:

  • Go to the website of the family benefits office of the Federal Employment Agency and call up the online application.
  • Fill out the online application and upload the necessary documents.
  • Submit the signed application documents to the family benefits office. You can print out the application yourself or have it printed out and sent to you. The application must still be sent to the family benefits office by mail.

You will then receive the approval or rejection of your application by mail, stating the reasons.


There is no time limit. Note: The child supplement is not paid retroactively, but at the earliest from the month of application.

Required documents

  • Application for child supplement, including the applicant/partner annex and the child annex.
  • Proof of income
  • Declaration of assets
  • Proof of housing costs
  • If necessary, further documents and proofs

Release note

Federal Ministry for Family Affairs, Senior Citizens, Women and Youth (BMFSFJ)

Bitte beachten Sie die für Ihr Anliegen genannte:
"zuständige Stelle"

- Ämter in der Stadtverwaltung
- Bürgerbüro


Stadt Weinheim
Obertorstraße 9
69469 Weinheim
Tel.: 115
Fax: 06201 / 82 - 268

Anfahrtsplan (511 KB)

Mo. - Fr.
außer Mi.
08.00 - 12.00 Uhr
Do. 14.00 - 18.00 Uhr

Bitte beachten Sie die unterschiedlichen Sprechzeiten der einzelnen Ämter und Dienststellen.
Wir haben gleitende Arbeitszeit.

Tel. Erreichbarkeit:
Mo. - Fr. 08.00 - 12.00 Uhr
Mo. - Mi. 14.00 - 16.00 Uhr
Do. 14.00 - 18.00 Uhr