Logo Service Baden Württemberg
Procedure descriptions

Apply for compensation from the Tierseuchenkasse (animal disease fund)

You receive compensation from the Land and the Tierseuchenkasse for measures ordered under animal health law and animal losses.

Compensation is based on the provisions of the Animal Health Act.

Animal owners can receive compensation payments for privately, professionally or commercially kept animals of the following species:

  • Horses, donkeys, mules, mules
  • Cattle (including bison, bison and water buffalo)
  • Pigs
  • Sheep
  • Goats
  • Poultry
  • Game birds
  • Bees
  • Fish

The basis for the amount of compensation is the general value of the animal.
This is the amount of money (excluding VAT) you would have to spend to buy an equivalent animal on the day of the loss.
The basis is, for example, the prices of the breeding animal markets.
The value of the animal does not change if the animal is ill, for example because it is suffering from an epidemic.
According to the Animal Health Act, different maximum rates per animal apply depending on the species.

Losses of fish are compensated if they have to be killed by official order in the event of the occurrence of exotic fish diseases and the other requirements under animal health law are met.

Responsible department

  • for the application: the lower animal health authority (Veterinäramt)
    Veterinäramt is,
    • if you live in a city district: the mayor's office
    • if you live in a rural district: the district administration office
  • for the processing and payment of compensation: the Tierseuchenkasse (animal disease fund)



As an animal keeper

  • you must have stated the correct number of animals when you notified the Tierseuchenkasse,
  • you must have paid the contributions to the Tierseuchenkasse on time,
  • you must have reported the outbreak of the animal disease without delay,
  • you must not have violated any laws (e.g. bans on feeding certain substances), and
  • you must not have known at the time of purchase that the animals were infected with disease agents.


You must immediately inform the lower animal health authority (veterinary office) responsible for you if you suspect an epidemic.

The official veterinarian will take up the investigation and, if necessary, determine the outbreak of the animal disease.
In doing so, they also determine the value of the affected animals. In addition, they order the necessary measures to eradicate the disease.
Such measures include, for example, the slaughter or killing of individual animals or the entire herd and the cleaning and disinfection of the stable or the location of the animals.

Once you have complied with the animal health measures ordered, you can submit your application to the veterinary office.

You can also download the application form from the website of the Tierseuchenkasse.

The official veterinarian will forward your application together with the results of the investigation to the Tierseuchenkasse.

The Tierseuchenkasse determines and pays the compensation.


You must submit the complete application to the competent body no later than 30 days after the animals have been killed.
If the entire herd was killed, you must submit the application no later than 30 days after killing the last animal.

Required documents

  • Application for compensation
  • Proof of the disease
  • Documentation of the animal loss



Processing time

few weeks



Release note

13.09.2023 Ministerium für Ernährung, Ländlichen Raum und Verbraucherschutz Baden-Württemberg

Bitte beachten Sie die für Ihr Anliegen genannte:
"zuständige Stelle"

- Ämter in der Stadtverwaltung
- Bürgerbüro


Stadt Weinheim
Obertorstraße 9
69469 Weinheim
Tel.: 115
Fax: 06201 / 82 - 268

Anfahrtsplan (511 KB)

Mo. - Fr.
außer Mi.
08.00 - 12.00 Uhr
Do. 14.00 - 18.00 Uhr

Bitte beachten Sie die unterschiedlichen Sprechzeiten der einzelnen Ämter und Dienststellen.
Wir haben gleitende Arbeitszeit.

Tel. Erreichbarkeit:
Mo. - Fr. 08.00 - 12.00 Uhr
Mo. - Mi. 14.00 - 16.00 Uhr
Do. 14.00 - 18.00 Uhr